Thursday, September 16, 2010

Long Weekend

I must say that I so enjoyed my long week-end.  Going back to work was very tough.  Why wasn't I born rich so that I could be a lady of leisure?  Oh well.

The weekend started by going to the my sons' High School football game. Neither one of them play football, but it is always fun to go to the games and visit with friend....and hold my friend Sue's hand when her son takes the field. As all mom's do, she gets quite nervous when he plays.

Saturday was crazy busy.  Car Guy wanted to go to the car show at Old Salem (a historic community that still looks and functions as a colonial town)  It was really neat to see all the "modern machines" amongst the old buildings. After the car show we met my dad for a late lunch and visited with him and my step mom for a bit. Then we had to take our boys over to my in-laws so that they could take the boys to the Elon football game.  By the time we got home, Car Guy and I were so tired that we had a very quiet evening.

We went to a coffee shop and had amazing crumb cake and cafe lattes, then went home and fell asleep watching the tube....how boring are we?

Sunday morning we got up, had breakfast and went for a pleasant ride in the car.  Then we went home so we could watch the Formula One race - which translates to Car Guy watched the race and I took a nap.  I did manage to finish the sweater I was working on and begin the granny squares for a bag I'm making.

I took Monday and Tuesday off, so on Monday I worked on the various projects I'm in the middle of. I started blocking items that I've made, but have been to lazy to block.....I hate blocking.  It's so frustrating.  I was working on the sweater and because it is a lace stitch, it keeps stretching in funny ways.  I finished the granny squares and put them together and blocked them.  Now I just have to make the strap and line the bag and it will be done!  Yea!  And because I didn't have anything else going on, I started a ripple afghan that will be a Christmas present....not saying for who.... : )

I must say, though, that Tuesday was the BEST.  I haven't enjoyed a day like that in a long time.  You see, it was my birthday and I spent the majority of my day with my dear college friend Linda.  She is one of those crazy, funny people that just make you happy by being around them.  We lost touch with each other and reunited on Facebook and met yesterday for lunch.....at 11:30 am.  I didn't get home until 5:30 pm.  We ate at an amazing restaurant called Green Valley Grill and I had the Crispy Risotto Cake Napoleon.  It's a Risotto cake with herbed goat cheese, grilled portabello mushroom, creamy marinara and wilted spinach.  HOLY COW!!! That was amazing.  I do believe I dreamed about it last night along with the Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with raspberry coulis.  All this was enjoyed with a yummy Argentinian Malbec from the Don Gascon Vineyard.  We decided that since we were shirking responsibility for the day we could have wine with lunch....with dessert....and after lunch..... Then we went over to one of my all time favorite stores in the world, Anthropologie.

And the great day continued when we got there because there was the pocket book I wanted and it was on sale - 60% off!! I mean, seriously, how cute is this?  Embroidered leather and it will go with everything!






After we shopped/drooled over all the amazing stuff at Anthropologie, we went back to Linda's house for a bit.  Of course the time slipped by way too quickly, and I had to leave because my mother was cooking me dinner for my birthday.  She fixed Salmon and Caesar Salad....Yum.....Are you notice a repeating theme of food here?  I'm beginning to think that I'm something of a food whore.....Of course there was yummy chocolate cake.  I received some crochet hooks and a crochet project bag from my Mom.  Some money from my Step Dad and some lovely crochet books from Car Guy and my boys.  It was a truly wonderful day and I know it was because  I was able to spend it with people I love.

The other thing that I got for my birthday, which I could REALLY do without, was Car Guy's cold.  Really?!  I love that he wants to share everything with me, but there are some things he should just keep to himself!

I know I keep promising photos, and I really will get some taken.  The problem is that I am probably the WORST photographer known to man...and woman.  My hands shake so pictures aren't always clear.  I'm getting better, but I'm just not quite there yet.  I think I may have to invest in a tripod. Hopefully, when I get over the stuffy head I'll feel more like working on it.  Right now I'm just doing good to get to work on time.  I'm off to play catch up and see what everyone has been up to.  I'm afraid that between all the activities and the cold, I've fallen a bit behind. I can't wait to see what everyone has been up to!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh Happy Birthday!
    Sounds like an awesome long weekend!
    *Sigh* I'm looking forward to my holidays immensely! Especially after reading that!!!!!
    Hope being back at work is surprisingly wonderful
    XXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was wonderful and work isn't too bad, just not as good as being a lady of leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you...Happy birthday to you lalallalla. You had a wonderful few days off that's for sure. I am loving all the food too, it all sounds wonderful. Thank you for your comments on my posts, its nice to get to know someone from another country and learn about their lives. Awww, not nice to share that, I could think of much nicer things to receive than a cold. Hope you are feeling much better soon.
    Hugs Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi, Thanks for the birthday wishes and I'm slowly get back amongst the living...but not before giving the cold BACK to Car Guy! That'll teach him!

    ReplyDelete