Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Better Late Than Never

OK....so I know it's not last night.....I know I'm late....FYI.....I'm ALWAYS late.  But I eventually get there and always do what I say I'm going to do....slowly but surely.

This was my Sunday morning.  It was a rainy dreary day, and the week has continued to be that way. In case some of you aren't from "around here,"  I'll tell you what I served up that morning.  Bacon and scrambles eggs - duh - with some cheese in the eggs.  I love cheese almost as much as butter.  Those lumpy looking things on the plate are cranberry scones....yum!  With butter (of course) and home made strawberry and fig jam.  My Mom's best friend Brenda donated the jam.  She's another amazing woman and pretty much my other mom....but that's another story for another day.  Let's just say that she's always there....Love her!!  And now for the fun stuff....that white weird looking stuff in the pot on the back burner are grits.  Ever heard of them?  This is a distinctly southern food.  Kind of like cream of wheat.  Some people call it hominy.  It's made from ground up corn and you serve it with butter (another duh) and salt.  Do not ruin grits by putting anything sweat in it, like milk and sugar - YUK!!!  It is kind of like cream of wheat in texture, but not in taste.  The best way to have grits is with Country Ham and Red Eye Gravy....again, another story for another day.

Anyway, that is what I wish I had this morning instead of a slice of toast and coffee.  Course, I also wish I could have stayed home so I could work on this:

This is the ripple blanket I mentioned before.  It's very subtle because it's a gift and the receivers aren't flashy color people.  It will look beautiful in their home.  Car Guy helped pick out the colors.  The yarn is Lion Brand Home Spun in Herb.  It's a soft variegated yarn.  I'll have to take a close up picture so you can see the variations in the color better.  It makes me think of fall and leaves changing.  I'm about a third of the way done.  The weather needs to get a little cooler because, now that the blanket is getting larger, it really does warm me up when I'm working on it.


This is a sweater that I just finished.  It needs to be blocked again because it draws up funny.  I also need to find the perfect button.  The pin is just something I put there so that it would stay on the hanger for the picture.  I'm looking for something unique, but not to flashy.  Again, this one is a gift and the receiver leans towards more subdued colors.  It's made out of a cotton linen blend yarn, so it's really soft....and washable...by hand...but at least it doesn't have to be dry cleaned, which was my main goal.



And finally, the granny square purse I'm working on.  This is a gift also and this person LOVES color and lots of it.  If you look at the bottom right of the picture, you'll see that the top of the purse is going to be a zigzag shape. And that bright, crazy material behind it?  That's going to be the lining.  This is still a work in process because there are a lot of technicalities that I've got to work out.  Thank goodness my Mom is here to help.  I think we might work on it this week end.



Well, now you know what I've been up to. Couple all this with work, my boys being back in school, keeping up with Car Guy and I've been pretty busy.

You also may have noticed that I've changed my blog picture to a more seasonally appropriate one.  Fall is finally getting here.  Soon the leaves will be changing and I'll be testing some of my photography skills so that you can see how beautiful my part of the world is. The new picture actually doesn't do North Carolina justice.  When the leaves start changing, I'll take you all with me to the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mountains.  Some of the views are so spectacular, they will take you breath away.

It's time for me to get back to work.  the world is knocking at my door and won't be ignored.  Thanks for stopping by!!

4 comments:

  1. I like that Autumn print, such beautiful colors. That is some serious crochet, it is going to be a long time before I get up to that sort of goodness!! I am thinking I would like to do a ripple blanket instead of a granny square one,
    It is interesting to see what people eat from other countries. I always wondered what grits were made from and the cranberry scones sound very yummo.
    Take care and hugs
    Sandi xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandi! You can do serious crochet too. You just have to jump in. The water's fine. As long as you know the basics (sc, dc, tc, etc.) you can do it. Believe me, I know.

    The cranberry scones are so easy. I just used a basic scone recipe and added dried cranberries to them. Yummo is right.

    Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what a great post! Delicious food... I have always wondered what grits are, and it's funny to be "meeting" someone who eats the food I read about in "fried Green Tomatoes" when I was a teenager!!!!!!! I love hearing about other people's lives, it's just great!!!!!
    I love the ripple... I LOVE the top you made! wow, you are so clever, I've never made something shaped! I'm impressed... and I can't wait to see the purse, I love granny anything and would love to be inspired by that! A big reveal is called for!
    have an ace weekend XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Alice! Have you ever had a fried green tomato? They're awesome and very messy to make - spattered grease.

    The top is designed by a phenominal woman named Doris Chan. She has the most beautiful stuff and the patterns are pretty easy to follow. I have a couple of her books.

    I will definitly show the finished purse. I'm getting excited about it.

    Have a great week-end!!!

    ReplyDelete