Monday, March 25, 2013

My Home Town

I don't think I've really talked much about my little home town.  I live in a place called Jamestown...in North Carolina, not Virginia.  It was settled in 1752 and is all off 2.7 square miles, in between the two larger and more well known cities of Greensboro and High Point.  I have spent the majority of my life here...with a brief stay in Greensboro while I attended UNCG.  This town is my home and has so many wonderful little gems.

One is our public library. It started out as THE school for the area in the early 1900s.  As things happen, needs change, new buildings were built and at one point, back in the 1980s, there was talk about tearing the building down.  Here's what's so cool.  The citizens of Jamestown, most of whom attended this school at some point in their lives, basically said "over my dead body."  Funds were raised, the School Board transferred ownership to the the Town and renovations began.

Source - The Jamestown Library Page on Facebook.
Here are the results.  Gorgeous, yes? While I attended another local elementary school, my family still has history with this school.  My step-father attended this school and his fourth grade (? I think it's fourth) teacher was my second cousin, Miss Chadwick.

Susan, the Soap Lady is on the left and Renee is on the right
Another wonderful spot is my friend Susan's store - The Soap Lady.  This store is such a wonderful place, but I know so much of it has to do with the incredible lady that runs it.  I swear that Susan has NEVER met a stranger, has one of the biggest, most generous hearts out there, but she doesn't suffer fools or bullies - which in my book makes her a winner. She makes the most amazing soaps and lotions and sells various gift items that are all locally made. And on the last Wednesday night of the month, her store is crammed pack with all the local ladies taking a night off for girls' night. We all bring food and wine and enjoy a nice visit, either hanging out in the store or sitting out on the porch in rocking chairs. 

See that other lady in the picture with Susan? She was one of my sixth grade teachers.  I hadn't seen her in years and there she was at girls' night one night.  I thought she looked so familiar, but back when she was my teacher, she was fresh out of college and unmarried, so the names didn't match up...at first.  She was so cool and I know inspired some of my hippie tendencies.  Now, I'm just fortunate to call her friend.

This is town is the type of place where, when  you're in a store buying your favorite soap, one of the hairdressers from the "The Beauty Parlor" (yes, that is the name) next door walks in and tells Susan that her hair is being done "tomorrow at 1:00" because Susan has to look her best - she's being honored at a luncheon on Friday by the Sedgefield Garden Club. We aren't quite Mayberry, but we aren't far off either.

Source
Now let's talk food....there is possibly one of the best restaurants in the whole Piedmont Triad area right in the middle of Town.  Southern Roots....even the name is perfect. But let's get back to the food....the Billy Bob is probably a little bit of heaven.  It is...and I quote from the menu..."grilled gouda pimento cheese, applewood smoked bacon, fried green tomatoes on sourdough bread."  YUM! That happens to be one of my particular favorites, but there is definitely something for everyone. Oh! The sauteed okra is awesome. When the weather is nice, on the weekends, you will typically find the back patio full of people enjoying the evening and live music provided by the various bands.

The Counter at TurnTable
But I think one of my other favorite places in town is TurnTable. This place is a coffee shop/music venue in an old two story house on Main Street owned by the cutest couple, John and Renee. During the day, you'll see various people in and out...getting coffee, sitting on one of the many sofas while reading or catching up on some work. I spent this last Saturday there with Renee, teaching her how to knit in between pauses while she waited on her patrons.

At night TurnTable becomes this really cool, quirky music venue. John and Renee have acts come in from all over the country. On a wall in the back hallway, they all leave their mark - a note, signature - just a little something to let you know who was there. Wednesday is Open Mic Night. Usually, when I hear this term I get a little wary, but no need. I went this past Wednesday and was so incredibly impressed...Here's a little something for your listening pleasure.....


Aren't they great?  They are Hayden Cooke and Lee Coltrane and are just a small example of the talent that was there that night. They were only able to do three songs, but I could have listened to them all night.

I hope you've enjoyed this brief glimpse into why I stay in this "spot on the road."  One day, I do hope to have a farm in the North Carolina mountains, but this town will always have a place in my heart.  I probably had the most idyllic childhood here, growing up surrounded by people who knew me....or my Sainted Mother.  I was Nancy and Jim's girl, you know Tina's little sister.  Some people still know me that way.  I'm good with that.

8 comments:

  1. Your little town looks so very lovely. Thanks for sharing yours. So sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up when I was down south, hopefully next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tour! I think you have a lovely town and have way better places to eat :) I've run into old teachers in the past and they seem to be ageless to me as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little town!!!!! Great little tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love small towns. Ours is quite quirky despite the luxury wine industry. And North Carolina is beautiful, the parts I've visited anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You home town reminds me of the one I grew up in back in Iowa. Everyone knew everyone else. You didn't dare do something wrong because not only were you disciplined by whoever caught you at it, your parents knew before you got home! But you also knew everyone cared about each other and helped out when needed. I think it was a better life back then and I'm glad to see it's still alive and well in your corner of the world.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you for sharing your town with us! It is a great way to get to know you better! I live in a small town, but everyone drives into a bigger town for all the shops and things. We only have a grocery store and school in Corbett an a grocery store an school in Springdale - we live between them. I love your town! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour! Looks like a lovely place to grow up and live! I like your idea of a farm in the North Carolina mountains too! :-D

    ReplyDelete