Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Success! (and a long overdue Show and Tell)

It's the little things in life that make us happy.  Small obstacles over come that make us smile.  Sometimes these successes even make the family as a whole very happy.

As you know, I have been blessed with a cold.  So I decided on Monday that I would make some chicken noodle soup when I got home...not open the can of Campbell's kind of soup, but cut veggies, cook chicken and simmer kind of soup.  No one in the family complained because Number Two Son also had a cold and the others know when Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  So if she wants chicken soup and she's cooking, we'll have chicken soup. But what were we going to have with it?  Hmmm.......some biscuits would be really good.......Yikes! Biscuits! For those of you who don't know, I've been struggling with biscuits for a long time.  So as not to belabor a point, just read about my shame here

I really liked the idea of biscuits with the soup, but wasn't sure that my current state was a good one for trying to rage this battle. I mean, let's face it, a cold doesn't bring out the best in a person. I was already tired and cranky.  Did I really want to add to my frustration? Then I decided "What the hey" and went for it.  I've tried several different recipes that weren't successful, so I decided I needed to try a new one.  So off I went to the Tasty Kitchen. .

If you've never been there, the Tasty Kitchen is kind of like Ravelry for foodies.  It's a spin off of the Pioneer Woman's blog and is a WONDERFUL resource.  There you will find not only Ree Drummond's recipes, but tons of others.  I wanted something quick and easy.  No yeast rolls, just some simple biscuits.  And there I found a recipe for - get ready, this is so great - Baby's Bottom Biscuits. Seriously?  How can you go wrong with something named Baby's Bottom? They come from Kat and her blog is Kat's in the Kitchen. She makes what I call comfort food and it looks wonderful.  I have a pretty good idea that I will be visiting Kat's Kitchen a lot.

Back to the biscuits.  The recipe was simple and the dough tasted like biscuit dough should taste - Am I the only one who taste dough? And....are you ready?  Can you handle the excitement? Here are the biscuits.......
Fresh from the oven...
With dinner....
And after dinner.

That's right...after dinner there were only two...TWO...biscuits left. And they didn't last long. No hockey pucks were present.  No teeth were broken.  None were used as weapons to knock their siblings, I mean other people out. I was happy.  My husband was happy.  My kids were happy. AND my dentist was happy! FINALLY!  I can make biscuits!  You have no idea how happy this makes me.  No more hanging my head in shame. I am a proud southern cook and I CAN MAKE BISCUITS!  I owe it all to Kat...and a little perseverance...and a good dental plan.....

So Kat has my undying gratitude and I'm off to make more biscuits....maybe a few Cheese Biscuits would be good.....What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I hope you start feeling better. Nothing like homemade chicken soup. The biscuits look great.

    However, I still say, why go to all that trouble when Pilsbury does it so good for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! Now I want homemade chicken noodle soup. My mom used to make homemade noodles to go into her soup... oh my.. and her biscuits were legendary. She grew up in Oklahoma and helped make big dinners for the wheat threshing crews and serve it up under a tree in the yard on the farm. She never measured with measuring cups.. just threw in stuff and it always came out perfectly divine. She was most famous for her pies. ::sigh:: I miss those. I'm proud of you!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Melissa, that soup sounds and looks so mmmmmmmmmmm!!! Yay for the biscuits (they sound like scones) Hope you are feeling heaps better now.
    xx Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Yum!! I could use some of that...this virus has kicked my buttsky!

    ReplyDelete