Friday, March 3, 2017

Changes

I used to blog. I used to blog on a fairly regular basis.  Now.....well, now I read blogs. "What happened?" you ask? Life got busy. Then it got really busy. Then it got sad. Things happened.  I was having a hard time finding my happy place here. I wanted to share pretty pictures of places we'd go and things I'd make, but it just felt like such an effort and I had to put my efforts else where.  I'm not saying this for sympathy.  I'm not saying this as an excuse.  Sometimes we change life and sometimes life changes us. It's just how things go. And in this process, I lost the filter between my brain and my mouth....or hands, as the case may be. I lost my patience. I knew that I couldn't keep this a happy place, so I didn't want to put it out there.

For those of you who are younger then I am - that would be A LOT of you - life as an empty nester is very different.  Suddenly, you have time on your hands that you don't know what to do with. Sounds lovely, and it sort of is. But it's also sad. You see, this spare time means that you aren't taking care of the kiddos that you put so much time and effort into. And suddenly, you're aren't needed.  Those little people that made you the center of their universe have found a whole new solar system that you aren't even a part of.  It's not that they don't love you.  They still do. But whether they were pushed out of the nest, or they jumped, they are spreading their wings and flying off in directions that they don't want, or need, you to follow.  All I can say is "OUCH."  So those cute boys that I showed you pictures of years ago....they are grown men....or getting there, anyway.

All this put me in a bit of a funk. I got over it. I'm finding myself again....you know the person you were before you became "their mother" or "his/her spouse." And I like her.  She's a lot different than the woman that started this journey. More tolerant, but more opinionated. More thoughtful, but more out spoken. More compassionate, but never a pushover. And those kiddos that didn't need me anymore? Well they found out Mom knows a lot more than they originally thought. And maybe, on occasion, they might need her again...If for nothing else, she can cook!

So I'm going to leave this picture right here....just to show what happens to those adorable kiddos you have.  They grow up, whether you want them to or not. And they do make it home every now and again. And those hugs.....they go from being obligatory to heart felt and that's wonderful.

I may pop back in here every now and then. And things may be a bit different. But that's because I'm a bit different. If you want to see more of what's been going on, pop over to Instagram.  I find that posting a picture here and there is a lot easier than trying to organize my thoughts.

I hope all is well with everyone and may you all go in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said my dear friend. I get it, really I do.
    Much love and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete